Trump Is Said to Propose Opening California Coast to Oil Drilling

Full Post
The Trump administration plans to allow new oil and gas drilling off the California coast for the first time in roughly four decades and setting up a confrontation with Gov. Gavin Newsom, a Democrat who has fought offshore drilling.

Gov. Gavin Newsom, a chief critic of the president and an opponent of oil exploration in the Pacific, called the proposal “dead on arrival.”

The Trump administration plans to allow new oil and gas drilling off the California coast for the first time in roughly four decades, according to three people briefed on the matter.

The move would set up a confrontation with Gov. Gavin Newsom, a Democrat who has fought offshore drilling and who has emerged as one of President Trump’s chief political antagonists. The governor is in Brazil for the United Nations climate summit, where he is drawing a contrast between himself and Mr. Trump, who denigrates efforts to fight global warming.

The Interior Department could announce the proposal as soon as this week, according to the three people, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to comment publicly.

When asked about the proposal on Tuesday, Mr. Newsom rolled his eyes and said it would be “dead on arrival in California.” He said that the state would “absolutely” challenge the plan in court once it was finalized.

Speaking at a news conference in Brazil, he said it was “remarkable” that Mr. Trump did not call for drilling near Mar-a-Lago, the president’s Florida resort. “He didn’t promote it off the coast of Florida,” Mr. Newsom said. “That says everything about Donald Trump.”

There has been almost no fossil fuel development along the California coast since an enormous oil spill near Santa Barbara in 1969 that shocked the nation and helped to galvanize a national environmental movement. The spill sullied beaches in the popular coastal enclave, killed thousands of birds, damaged property and harmed the commercial fishing industry.

Since then, drilling has been prohibited in California state waters, which extend three miles from the shoreline. There has been limited drilling, and no new leasing, in federal waters off California since the mid-1980s.

The plan would also require new oil and gas leasing in the eastern Gulf of Mexico, which Mr. Trump is calling the Gulf of America. That could prompt pushback from Republicans from Florida, who have opposed new drilling there ever since the 2010 Deepwater Horizon rig disaster devastated the state’s tourism industry.

Elements of the proposal were reported earlier by The Washington Post and Politico. Representatives for the Interior Department and the White House did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

Read Now
Trump Is Said to Propose Opening California Coast to Oil Drilling

Timeframe

Add to calendar

Location

No items found.

Connect

No items found.

Sponsored

PEP Library

Explore Our Latest Insights

Visit page
Visit Library post
Oil Markets Remain in Limbo
Visit page
Visit Library post
Opportune LLP acquires Pickering Energy Partners’ Consulting & Advocacy practice, expanding sustainability and energy advisory services.
Visit page
Visit Library post
Dan on energy markets, capital allocation, and the road ahead.
Visit page
Visit Library post
Dan on CNBC
Visit page
Visit Library post
Rising electricity and gas bills are hitting households nationwide as utilities win rate hikes, aging power grids need upgrades, and growing energy demand and natural gas prices push costs higher.
Visit page
Visit Library post
Resman Energy Technology Sold to SLB
Visit page
Visit Library post
Oilfield services group SLB is in position to win some of the first contracts under Donald Trump’s plan to revive Venezuela’s ailing oil industry, capitalising on its century long presence in the Caribbean nation.
Visit page
Visit Library post
Texas oilman Rod Lewis has made millions drilling in places even other wildcatters find too dangerous.But when he flew to Venezuela in 2024, he encountered an opportunity that was as treacherous—and possibly as profitable—as any in the world.
Visit page
Visit Library post
Exxon stock hit a record on Tuesday, rising 1.5% to $125.94. The oil giant is winning the hearts of investors, even as it’s getting the cold shoulder from the president.
Visit page
Visit Library post
Exxon stock hit a record as investors backed the oil giant’s cautious stance on Venezuela, even as President Trump signaled frustration over its hesitation.
Visit page
Visit Library post
As other oil executives lavished President Trump with praise at the White House, Exxon Mobil CEO Darren Woods bluntly said the Venezuelan oil industry is currently “uninvestable,” and that major reforms are required before even considering committing the many billions of dollars required to revitalize the country’s dilapidated crude business.
Visit page
Visit Library post
President Donald Trump is set to meet with Big Oil executives Friday as part of a weeklong charm offensive to persuade America’s largest energy companies to return to Venezuela.
Visit page
Visit Library post
President Trump wants to drive down oil prices to $50 a barrel. Getting to that price appears doable with Venezuela, though keeping it there comes with risks.The good news for the administration is that, if the real goal is to lower gasoline prices for U.S. consumers, global oil prices might not need to come down that much.
Visit page
Visit Library post
How AI, geopolitics, and policy uncertainty will redefine energy markets and capital strategy in 2026—and where opportunity emerges.
No items found.
Visit page
Visit Library post
Venezuela was 2026’s first geopolitical wildcard.
Ready to get started?
Contact our specialized teams at PEP for more information.